Friday, April 5, 2013

Why do I want Privacy When the Online Public Sphere and I are One?

In the last lecture of my undergraduate degree we presented our projects and one of the questions about privacy has gotten me thinking.

I always knew that I wanted to keep my private life private, however not until I became a communication studies student did I realize how little of an option I really have. I remember the day when my bank notified me that I will not longer be able to use my old bank card, but that I should rather destroy it and used the new one with a chip in it. They off course had my safety and security in mind. Sure they did. Not only did that create a panic in me since I did not want the bank to track me through my spending habits, but I was not comfortable with the idea that through a chip someone can always know my whereabouts.  For the longest time I had the most basic cellphone, without a data plan, gps, Google Maps ( that still freaks me out) o of  the check in options. I was fine with that, more than fine. Then I started working at a high tech company where the type of job and company that I worked for I needed a better phone with various options.

My online/digital personality was an extension but not a direct reflection of who I am. That got modified even further when I bought a Google phone with all the fixin's. My online exploration and curiosity is limited now due to my fear that someone might get my information, that they might judge me or give it away to the wrong hands. Oh the paranoia that is still taunting me. With my  phone appropriated behaviour and the fact that so much of my everyday interaction is done through my portable devices it makes me wonder if they have changed the core of real life persona? Instead of making me more free,  technology has made me more cautious and careful and frankly uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment